Kungsholmen, District of Stockholm
The western district of Stockholm, Kungsholmen ("king's island"), is located on one of the islands of Mälaren lake. In the 15th century, monastic farmlands and farms appeared here, the monks also fished, and later built a brick factory. At this time, the island bore the name of Anklaget (Munklägret - settlement of monks). In the next century, Stockholm developed rapidly, the city became crowded inside the fortress walls, the city demanded new territories, and in 1527, Queen Christina requisitioned the island into state ownership, transferring it to the administration of the Stockholm municipality. The island began to be built up with residential areas and after a short time received the status of a district and its present name. At the beginning of the 18th century, the first factories appeared in the area - factories for processing cotton and making porcelain. By the 19th century, only a small part of the island was inhabited, only about 4 thousand people lived here. The industrial revolution of the second half of the century led to a demographic explosion, from 1860 to 1890, the population of the island grew 8 times. Then the island began to be built up massively with apartment buildings and Kunsgholmen became a purely proletarian district. At the beginning of the 20th century, businesses opened in the era of industrialization became crowded within the city limits, and Industrialists began to build businesses outside of it. In the 30 years, new neighborhoods have grown in their place, and state institutions have moved to Kungsholmen, the most famous of which is the city hall. The next construction boom occurred in the 60s of the 20th century, during the "Swedish economic miracle", which turned an agricultural country on the outskirts of Europe into one of the world's largest centers of high-tech industry.