Bartelska huset and Brända tomten, Stockholm
Very close to Köpmantorget, on the corner of Köpmangatan is another architectural monument - one of the oldest houses in Stockholm, built in 1549.
In 1637, Lydert Barthel became the owner of the house, and the house would have remained unremarkable if the owner had not been knighted in 1686. On this occasion, he reconstructed the house, decorating the walls and building a luxurious portal. The interior, too, has acquired a sophisticated look. The works were performed by the famous master Johan Wendelstamm. At the same time the building was named Bartelska huset.
In 1727, the building was bought by a trading house, and in the middle of the 18th century it was rebuilt as multi-apartment housing. At the same time, the magnificent interior design was spent, and for two centuries the house was pretty dilapidated.
In 1967, the house was purchased by the St. Eric's Association, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting culture and preserving the city's history. The organization restored both the exterior and interior of the building, and the house acquired the appearance it had in the 17th and 18th century.
To the left of the house is a tiny triangular square called Brända tomten (burnt house). On this site stood a large wooden house, where in 1728 there was a fire. There was nothing to restore, in 1734 the ruins were removed, and the vacant site was paved. Now it is a cozy corner, where you can sit on a trap in the shade of a chestnut tree, or have lunch at the restaurant Under Kastanjen