Stockholm. The Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas, Sankt Nikolai kyrka)
The St. Nicholas church (sw. Sankt Nikolai kyrka, map) - Stockholm Cathedral, or Storkyrkan (great church), as called it the residents of the Swedish capital.
The Temple was built in 1767 by architect Eric Palmstedt (Erik Palmstedt) on the site of the old Church, the First mention of the Church on the site dated to 1279. The first Church was built by decree of Birger Jarl, and for a long time was the only Church in the city until it was burned down. The wall of the Church are preserved in the Northern part of the tower of the existing Cathedral. In 1306 began the restoration in which the Church was greatly expanded, a hundred years later the Church was again rebuilt in 1420, was built the bell tower.
First clock was installed in the tower in 1471, the existing clock is set in 1888, the dial and hands are made of copper, the hour hand with a length of 2.5 meters, weighs about half a ton.
In this view the Church was given in 1736-1734, city architect Johann Corvega, which changed the face of the Church with its brick Gothic to the Baroque. At the same time was built the bell tower, increasing the height of the tower up to 66 meters, on which were placed four to six ton bell.
Cathedral became the main venue for major state events such as coronations and weddings and funerals of members of the Royal family. In this Church on 19 June 1976 took place the wedding of Sweden's king Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath, whom he met during the Olympic games in 1972, where she worked as a translator.